Mercury is an element found throughout the earth in dirt, rocks, and water. It can even be found in the air we breathe in trace amounts. This material has been used for centuries as a medicine and also for use in a variety of industrial applications. When humans are exposed to mercury, it can become extremely dangerous. Depending on the amount and the length of exposure, you may experience mercury poisoning. Too much exposure can be toxic, and immediate treatment is needed to mitigate the effects.
Symptoms of Mercury Poisoning
The symptoms of mercury poisoning can vary, and they can come on suddenly, or they may increase over a longer period of time. The higher the exposure or dose of mercury, the more profound the effects and symptoms will be. Patients may start to experience extreme mood swings, irritability, and insomnia. Severe headaches and muscle twitching are also common signs that someone has been exposed to mercury. Other symptoms may include muscle weakness or atrophy, tremors, and even decreased mental and cognitive function.
In extreme cases of mercury poisoning, the patient may experience kidney malfunction, respiratory failure, and death. Other extremely serious symptoms include vision impairment, loss of coordination, a stinging feeling in the mouth and extremities, and difficulty with speech and hearing. Mercury causes serious harm to the human body’s central nervous system, lungs, and kidneys. Some fish may contain high levels of mercury, so if someone eats a large quantity of fish, they could get mercury poisoning. Other causes may just be a result of simple exposure to the element either naturally or in the workplace.
Anyone exposed to mercury should be removed from the source immediately, and all clothing should be removed and disposed of. Patients may need emergency respiratory support if they have breathed it in. If mercury is ingested, the patient will need to be treated with medication to assist with vomiting to remove the toxin from the body. Activated charcoal should be given to the patient to help bind and deactivate the toxin in the body. In some cases, the patient may also need IV fluids to help with any damage done to the intestinal tract.
Chelating agents may be given to help bind the toxins that have formed inside the tissue cells. These chelation agents help to remove the poison from the bloodstream and the kidneys. A consultation with a toxin expert is highly recommended since mercury can affect several different parts of the body. These experts can suggest the best route for treatment in order to remove the mercury from the patient’s system. Identifying mercury poisoning early can ensure that the patient has a better chance of recovery.
For all your medical, chiropractic, and wellness needs contact Revive Medical Center in Lawrenceville, GA at 770-214-4281 to schedule an appointment today.